The establishment of D.W. BELLOWS & SON goes back to September 1821, when Daniel R. Clark opened a small cabinet shop on the corner of Park Place and Main Street, Pawtucket, where the former Pawtucket Registry of Motor Vehicles is located. Mr. Clark made cherry and mahogany tables and chairs and was often called upon to make caskets. As time went on, Mr. Clark was asked to take charge and perform the entire funeral service. A few years later, Mr. Clark gave up the making of furniture entirely to devote all of his time to his funeral work. His business increased gradually, and in 1855 his son, Daniel A. Clark, became associated with his father, later succeeding to the ownership of the business, which he carried on successfully for many years.
In November 1892, Dexter W. Bellows, a native of New London, Connecticut, and Mr. Clark's brother-in-law, came to Pawtucket to assist Mr. Clark in caring for his increasing business. This continued to July 1, 1903, when Mr. Clark passed on ownership of the firm, retiring to Berkeley, California. In 1913, Dexter's son, Dana R. Bellows, began working for his father and in 1919 was admitted into the partnership, under the name D. W. BELLOWS & SON.
In 1906, Mr. Bellows found it necessary to move the firm from its original storefront to the corner of Park Place and Church Street. Our firm maintained a funeral home on that site until it closed in 2008.
In 1952, Dana Bellows was joined by his son, Allan R. Bellows, the fifth generation of the family. Under the guidance of Allan, the firm purchased land from Garelick Farms in Lincoln in 1964. On this land, BELLOWS FUNERAL CHAPEL was constructed. At the time of its opening in 1966, this facility was considered to be the complete modern funeral facility with ample off street parking and large comfortable rooms, to aid in serving the needs of the families taken care of. In 1972, Bradford R. Bellows joined his father and thus became the sixth generation. Shortly thereafter, Roy Funeral Home (formerly Lalime & Son Funeral Home), a firm that had served the people of the Manville section of Lincoln since 1913, came under the ownership of D. W. BELLOWS & SON.
In 2001, Allan R. Bellows II joined the firm, becoming the seventh generation of the family to enter into funeral service. And in 2003, BELLOWS FUNERAL CHAPEL underwent a renovation and expansion to help our firm to better serve families in the twenty-first century.
Our extensive tradition has left us justly proud of the fact that our firm has been serving the Blackstone Valley for over 190 years. We are also proud that we are one of the oldest, active funeral service firms in existence in New England and the United States today. Throughout our history, we have continued to maintain our policy to render the best service possible and to maintain a spirit of helpfulness to those whom we are privileged to serve.